- 11:47 Everyone says Lincoln would be pleased. I'm not sure if he'd like Obama, but he would like there being a 44th President of the USA. #
I am not now, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social or political equality of the white and black races. I am not now nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor of intermarriages with white people. There is a physical difference between the white and the black races which will forever forbid the two races living together on social or political equality. There must be a position of superior and inferior, and I am in favor of assigning the superior position to the white man.
~~ Lincoln in his speech to Charleston, Illinois, 1858
Lincoln appeared to think of "Negros" (to use his word) as people, but I'm not convinced he thought of them as equal. Perhaps Fredrick Douglas really changed his mind on this, but I'm not convinced he was a huge proponent of equality. Perhaps he just viewed them like nobles view(ed) the common people.
- 12:01 Interesting: Yo Yo Ma performing "Air and Simple Gifts" by John Williams, created specifically for the inauguration. #
- 12:05 We have a president who hasn't taken the Oath of Office, technically. They should fix that. #
Technically, Obama took office officially at noon. The time, not the oath marks his taking office (ref: 20th Amendment, § 1). Something I thought interesting.
- 12:06 Mr. Obama seems a little nervious. He can't quite get the oath straight. He said all the words though, and that's close enough. #
- 12:07 And Bush goes out not with a whimper, but a bang. 21 of them. :-D #
- 12:10 The beginning of his address is kinda depressing. #
- 12:16 The rest isn't. He's a compelling speaker with a compelling message. He has three years to prove he walk the walk. #
- 12:17 "We reject the choice between our security and our ideals." Hmmm... Has he been reading Franklin? #
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~~ Benjamin Franklin
- 12:19 PBS keeps showing a view down The Mall... That's a lot of people. #
- 12:29 I just thought of something. All those people on The Mall are gathered to _watch TV_. Buh. I guess some people like crowds? Not me. #
No, really. People were packed onto The Mall, and really all they could see were a series of jumbo TV screens. I just couldn't do that. I guess I can understand "wanting to be there" but they're not really there, they're down the street from "there".
- 13:03 Obama's a lefty. Who knew? #
- 13:22 PBS: "Arctic conditions in the capitol..." Really? 30 degress is arctic? #
Automatically shipped by LoudTwitter, then edited.